Saturday, March 20, 2010

Good Bye, Old Friend


Sadly, I report the loss of another friend.

I've never heard of Squamous Cell Carcinoma, but then medical science is not my area of expertise. Suffice it to say, when it's eating up your nether regions, it is one nasty MFer.

Domino has been Peg's horse for about 20 years. She knew when we called the vet that the outcome wasn't going to be good. Domino didn't really act like that nasty thing was bothering him, but OMG if I'd discovered that thing on my body part, I would have called Dr. Kavorkian within about 2 seconds.

And that's kind of how it played out. The vet told us we might be able to extend his life 6 months or so, but only with repeated, difficult, and painful treatment, after a difficult recovery from nasty surgery. Prospects for recovery for a human would have been difficult. I couldn't see a horse getting through that.

I'm pragmatic, but I really wish there was another way. We had to put the horse down.

Is this the first day of spring? It seems like the dead of winter.

Good bye, old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment